For an all text version click here.
- Ph.D. - Computer Science, Carnegie Mellon University, granted May 2004.
- M.S. - Computer Science, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, granted September 1990.
- B.S. - Computer Science, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, granted September 1990.
- B.S. - Management Science, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, granted June 1989.
- Application and algorithm development using C, embedded system and real time system development.
- C, Perl, HTML, Lisp, Assembly (68K, 6811, PIC, 6502), Postscript, PCL.
- Machine learning, computer vision, data compression, image compression, image processing.
- GCC, Microsoft C, Schematic capture, PCB layout.
- Embedded microprocessor system design, analog interface design, motor control interface design, system debugging, PC board layout.
Takasic, San Mateo, CA, December 2002 - January 2003
- JBIG related technical document preparation.
KeyCorp, Cleveland, OH, August 1998 - October 1998
- Developed neural network models for bank fraud detection.
- Development of color imaging and printing algorithms.
- Supported continued operations and efforts of software staff, in a consulting role.
- Contract development of OS and control code.
Director of Software Technology
- Supported and managed day to day software operations and efforts of software staff. Wrote
high level AI based control code, low level OS, and device driver code in C, Assembly, and Lisp
for autonomous mobile robot systems. Developed a dynamically linkable "C" environment to utilize
GCC binaries. Wrote the dynamic linker, memory manager, I/O packages. Orchestrated company-wide
move to integrated C and Lisp based development system.
- Implemented high level control systems, including: navigation algorithms and user interface code
for reconnaissance robot, grasping algorithms
for snake robot, simulated personality control system
for interactive animatronic prototype, and software to
control pipe climbing/inspection robots.
- Implemented device drivers for various subsystems, including: GPS, generic PID motor servo
code, and software for a time-sliced communications system for multi-robot cooperative tasking.
- Designed various robot hardware systems, including: main electronics and hardware drivers for
the R3 and
Pebbles III wheeled research robot platforms
and a small general purpose networked stackable microcontroller system with device interface
electronics to serve as a rapid prototyping building block.
- Developed technical materials for course on halftoning algorithms. Participated in course design and generation of course materials and technical examples.
Member of Technical Staff
- Developed compression and image processing algorithms using C under Unix.
- Participated in JPEG and JBIG standards committees.
- Developed fast algorithms for the lossless compression of halftoned image data, one of which was utilized in the LaserJet 4.
- Worked on analysis and generation of new halftoning algorithms. Worked on simulation of printed halftone patterns and metrics for predicting subjective evaluation data.
- Worked on algorithms for enhancing data scanned on low resolution input devices, including fax.
- Organized company-wide internal symposia on halftoning and fax imaging technology. Had frequent contact with counterparts in product divisions, including travel to the major HP sites in the U.S. and Europe.
- Published papers on work, attended conferences and applied for three patents, all of which have been granted.
- Acted as grant liaison between HP and the MIT Media Laboratory.
- Developed a fast decoding lossy image compression algorithm for Master's thesis and bitmap font compression algorithms for printer use, both of which have been patented.
DOK, Hewlett, NY, March 1985 - September 1996
- Designed EDD Plus hardware card.
- Started and ran business to produce and sell EDD Plus hardware card.
- Sold over 4500 units.
- Anthony Rowe, Charles Rosenberg, Illah Nourbakhsh, "A Second Generation Low Cost Embedded Color Vision System," Embedded Computer Vision Workshop, CVPR 2005.
- Charles Rosenberg, Martial Hebert, Henry Schneiderman, "Semi-Supervised Self-Training of Object Detection Models", oral presentation, WACV 2005.
- Charles Rosenberg, "Semi-Supervised Training of Models for Appearance-Based Statistical Object Detection Methods", Ph.D. Thesis, May 2004, CMU TR# CMU-CS-04-150.
- Charles Rosenberg, Thomas Minka, Alok Ladsariya, "Bayesian Color Constancy with Non-Gaussian Models", poster appeared at NIPS 2003.
- Charles Rosenberg, Martial Hebert, "Training Object Detection Models with Weakly Labeled Data", poster appeared at BMVC 2002.
- Anthony Rowe, Charles Rosenberg, Illah Nourbakhsh,
"A Low Cost Embedded Color Vision System,"
- Charles Rosenberg, Martial Hebert, Sebastian Thrun, "Image Color Constancy Using KL-Divergence", poster appeared at ICCV 2001.
- Anthony Rowe, Charles Rosenberg, Illah Nourbakhsh,
"A Simple Low Cost Color Vision System,"
tech sketch presented at CVPR 2001.
- Charles Rosenberg, "Image Color Constancy Using EM and Cached Statistics", ICML-2000, pp. 799-806, July 2000.
- Jamieson Schulte, Charles Rosenberg, Sebastian Thrun,
"Spontaneous, Short-term Interaction with Mobile Robots",
- Rodney A. Brooks and Charles Rosenberg, "L - A Common Lisp for Embedded Systems", Lisp Users and Vendors Conference, sec. 2.4a, August 1995.
- Rajiv Desai, Charles Rosenberg and Joseph Jones,
"Kaa: An Autonomous Serpentine Robot Utilizes Behavior Control",
IROS '95, vol. 3, pp. 250-255, August 1995.
- Charles Rosenberg, invited paper, "Measurement-Based Evaluation of a Printer Dot Model for Halftone Algorithm Tone Correction", Journal of Electronic Imaging, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 205-212, July 1993. (Also appears in Selected Papers on Digital Halftoning. Edited by Jan P. Allebach. SPIE Milestone Series, volume MS 154, 1999.)
- Charles Rosenberg, "Measurement Based Verification of an Electrophotographic Printer Dot Model for Halftone Algorithm Tone Correction", IS&T Eighth International Congress on Advances in Non-Impact Printing Technologies, pp. 286-289, October 1992.
- Charles Rosenberg, "A Low Complexity Method for Compressing Kanji Font Bitmaps", Raster Imaging and Digital Typography II, pp. 137-146, October 1991.
- Joyce Farrell, Helena Trontelj, Charles Rosenberg, and Jeanne Wiseman, "Perceptual Metrics for Monochrome Image Compression", SID International Symposium Digest of Technical Papers, vol. 22, pp. 631-634, May 1991.
- Walter Bender and Charles Rosenberg, "Image Enhancement Using Non-Uniform Sampling", SPIE Image Handling and Reproduction Systems Integration, vol. 1460, pp. 59-70, February 1991.
- Charles Rosenberg, "A Lossy Compression Algorithm Based on Nonuniform Sampling and Interpolation of the Image Intensity Surface", SID International Symposium Digest of Technical Papers, vol. 21, pp. 388-391, September 1990.
- Awarded Kodak Graduate Student Fellowship for two academic years, 2002-3 and 2003-4.
- Awarded Sun Microsystems Graduate Student Fellowship for two academic years, 1998-9 and 1999-2000.
- Primary co-organizer of the weekly Machine Learning seminar at CMU, 1999-2003.
- Eta Kappa Nu honor society.
- Chaired and co-founded student based MIT VI-A internship guide.
- Traveled in Europe, Israel, Japan.
- Interest in photography, windsurfing, sailing.
-- First Edition: 8/27/97
Last modified: Tue Dec 6 20:43:35 EST 2005